Sunday, April 18, 2010

Soap Box

So I feel the need to have two posts today. It's been a few days since I last posted and I've had a lot running through my mind. I could write one really long post, but I feel like I have two very separate things to post ... so just hang in there with me. :0)

This is something that has just been weighing heavy on my heart. Something that makes me angry and sad all at the same time. To caution you, this may offend you .. so you might not want to read it ... but if you choose to, please keep in mind that this is from my heart and I would like you to take it to yours.

I am so sick of racism. I hate prejudiced comments and I am so unbelievably frustrated by the ignorance of people. The amount of racist comments I hear baffles me. And what hurts even more is that these comments come from people that I really love and care about. It comes from people that I respect (or used to respect). It comes from people that I would never in a million years expect them to say. I guess I just don't understand. I feel like my mom did a damn fine job in raising me to love and respect anyone of any race. She raised me to be a woman who appreciates different cultures. So this is a shout out to you mom, for helping to make me into the woman I am today. You taught me not to see or judge a person by color but by their personality a values. And I never realized until I left for college that some people must have missed out on being raised by a mom like you.

I'm sorry that this post is just me mostly venting my frustrations, but this topic is one that hits directly home for my husband and I. I don't understand why it would be a surprise for me to fall in love with a black man. Why would you have to question if it is okay for me to date or marry a man of a different race? How does his skin color change who he is on the inside? Does it stop him from being the most humble man I have ever met? Does it stop him from wanting to do anything and everything he can to make me happy? Does it stop him from taking the shirt off his back if he knew it would help someone? Does it stop him from loving Jesus with his whole heart and soul? No!!!! It just makes me so sad to see how people judge each other. What went wrong??? Some people might think that things have changed for the better when it comes to racism. And to a point I might agree with that ... yes, there is more freedom for people of different races .... but those once outward racist actions are now harboring deep within, and that almost scares me more. I want so badly for my children to grow up in a society where their culture is embraced. I want them to be loved for who they are, not judged because of their skin color. I want them to grow up in a community of lots of different cultures so that they can learn to appreciate and love cultures different from their own. And that will happen ... I want to do as good of a job as my mom did raising me. It just makes me so sad that people still think the racist things that they do. And what surprises me the most is that they don't even realize that they truly think this way. I don't believe that they would ever in a million years say something to Alya intentionally trying to hurt him ... but it's been done. I'm just praying that God opens some eyes .. big time!



Okay, off my soap box ... sorry I have just been holding in a lot of frustration in this area for some time, and needed to get it out.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on this topic! I can't believe that people still are so racist when it comes to marriages. Johnny and I faced many people when we decided to get married, my grandparents even decided not to come to our wedding. Had they actually taken the time to get to know him they would have realized that his beliefs are more similar to theirs than anyone in the family, but unfortunately they were unable to see past the color of his skin. It is a topic that really saddens me too!

    ReplyDelete