Sunday, May 2, 2010

Yard Sale Day

So the BIG day was this past Saturday! Our first yard sale adoption fundraiser! It was quite the adventure let me tell you!

We started taking little trips all last week with yard sale items and leaving them at my best friend Kacie's house. Her and her hubby made a space in their garage for the massive amount of items we had to sell. This was so sweet of them! We figured that since the location of our yard sale was 30 minutes away moving our yard sale items at least half way would help us out a bit. I tried my very best to stay calm and not get overwhelmed by all of the things I had on my to-do list ... but I don't know if I did that great of a job. (more on that later in the post) I did however continue to thank God for this amazing blessing. Although it was soooooooo much work, it was a way to provide extra money to be raised to bring home our soon to be little miracle. Kacie and Shaun were planning on helping us with the yard sale but Shaun's great grandma died on Thursday and they had to make a trip up to Ohio for her funeral. :0( [Please pray for him and his family during this time] I called in reinforcements *the amazing Marcus and Mandy* and that sudden change in plans was fixed. We decided that it might be easier to just spend the night at Kacie and Shaun's house instead of getting up even earlier than the butt crack of dawn to make our 20 minute drive over to their house. We are watching their dog while they are out of town and had been planning on just letting Buddy play with their dog Daisy while we were at the yard sale anyways. Shaun left us his SUV and trailer and the Stewart's were so sweet to let us borrow their truck and trailer as well. Having all these extra vehicles made it so much easier to be able to load up the last amount of stuff and head on over to the Forbes house for the evening. As we were driving it did start to rain on us :0( but it wasn't too horrible and all of our stuff was okay.


Buddy was ready to go!

We got up about 5:00AM (which is far too early for this girl!) on Saturday morning and started getting the last of the yard sale items in order. Marcus and Mandy showed up in both of their vehicles around 6:15 and we were able to get EVERYTHING that was in the garage loaded into their two vehicles. (PRAISE GOD!)I really wish that I had pictures to capture what 5 car loads and 2 trailers worth of yard sale stuff looked like, because it was definitely a sight! Once we arrived in the church parking lot we were met by a woman who was already waiting for us! sigh ... I mean I love that people get all excited and serious about yard sales, but please don't come earlier than what the starting time says. So anyways ... the boys left Mandy and I to start unloading the 4 vehicles and the boys went back to get the final truck and trailer. The set up took us about 2 hours to get done ... it was INSANE! And I'm not going to lie, the early birds stressed me out a little bit.

Once we finally were done setting up, we popped open our tent and chairs and sat down to take a much needed break! We soon discovered that this was not going to be an option for us. These crazy gross caterpillars started coming towards us and simply wouldn't leave us alone! They are the ones that hurt you too .... every time we would knock them away thousands more would come back in their place. [okay maybe not thousands ... but to Mandy and I it most definitely seemed like that!] We had to move our chairs completely away ... stupid bugs!

Pictures of our setup.


Mandy and Marcus stayed with us most of the morning ... I really don't know how we would have EVER done it without their help, so I have to say a very special THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart to them. We love you guys ... our Journey Group definitely rocks that much more having you guys in it! :0)

We started packing up at 2:30 since it was just the two of us and we knew that it would take forever. Although it didn't seem like we sold that much stuff we must have because we ended up being able to pack everything back up using only 1 SUV and 2 trailers. So that felt really good! We decided to leave my car there and take the two cars with trailers back to our house. We were trying to beat the rain ... but were incredibly unsuccessful in doing so. Half way home we drove straight into a downpour of rain. And everything got soaked. But there wasn't much we could do so we just kept on driving on to our house. Once we got home we decided that we wanted to unload all of our items into the garage this time instead of using the house. (this was impossible before the yard sale due to my dear sweet husbands stupid car and car parts that have overtaken our garage.) We tried to make sure that we got all of the caterpillars out of our stuff, but we knew that there were probably some still hiding and we didn't want to risk getting those little buggers in our house. We were able to unload one trailer when I looked up at the sky. I wish I had a picture of this as well to show you. I am not kidding when I say that I seriously thought a tornado was going to drop out of the sky right onto our house. It was sooooo scary! I didn't know if I should drop everything and run to a safe place or keep on trying to get our stuff back into the garage. Alya was like "Lindsay, it is getting ready to POUR on us!" So he ran and tried to move the other SUV and trailer into our driveway. We still had the Forbes tent with us so we tried to open it and put it over the trailer so the rest of the stuff didn't get completely ruined. Before we could even get the tent opened it started to pour. Our sweet neighbor and her cousin ran over to help us get it over the trailer. Below are pictures that I just simply couldn't resist capturing. Although this is the last thing I wanted to happen, I had to admit it was pretty amusing. :0)




My cute hubby making sure the tent is keeping everything dry :0)

It poured for all of about 5 minutes and then cleared up so that we could continue to unload.It was a very beautiful sight ...

We went and dropped off the Stewart's truck and then drove all the way back to the island to get my car. Then we drove back over to the Forbes to collect our over night stuff and the dogs. Then FINALLY we made it back home where we were able to stay and not have to leave again by 11:00PM

It was most likely one of the longest days of my life. I think that our yard sale went okay. I thought that we would have more people come visit us since the Shrimp Festival was going on ... but honestly everyone that came to our yard sale was staying far away from the festivities. It might have something to do with all of our signs blowing away, but oh well. I am still so grateful for the opportunity to raise more money for our adoption. We will hopefully be having another one this weekend in Callahan (please no rain!) so that we can sell the rest of the stuff. Whatever we don't sell I will probably be posting on Craigslist ... there are a lot of nice items that have been donated.

As far as the not stressing part ... I think that I must have because on Sunday I broke out in hives alllll over. :0( I took off work today and went to the doctor. They gave me a cortisone shot, a prescription for a steroid and two over the counter allergy medications. I am def. going to be drugged up for the next week ... hope I can make it through the week at school!

Oh! The grand total ... are you curious to see how we did?? We raised $20,000!!! Just kidding lol ... we did however raise $288.74

Alya and I are very blessed and so thankful for all the the Lord has and is still providing for in the amazing journey he is taking us on.




Hot, sweaty and sunburned ... we made it through the day together!


P.S. Anyone want to buy a toilet?? :0P

No comments:

Post a Comment